Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Organisation: Association of Independent Festivals
FT/PT: FT, 35 hours per week
Application Deadline: 6pm, Friday 30th September
Interview Dates: w/c 3rd October
Start Date: TBC
Salary: Up to £50,000 per annum
National trade organisation The Association of Independent Festivals (AIF) is the UK’s leading festival representative body. AIF is a not-for-profit entity, with the key objectives of helping the businesses of its festival members, and the overall needs of the independent festival sector.
Established in 2008, the AIF has grown to be a vital support network for independent festivals promoters, creating a national network of promoters, offering a range of member services, lobbying on behalf of the sector in addition to producing conferences and training events and delivering hugely impactful public facing campaigns on issues such as climate action and sexual violence at events.
The combined attendance of AIF’s member events exceeds over 1 million people. The festival sector in general generates £1.76bn GVA for the UK economy each year and supports 85,000 jobs.
Representing approximately 49% of UK festivals 5,000 capacity and above, AIF has over 90 member events, featuring some the UK’s most successful and creative events in the UK as members. These include Boomtown Fair, Shambala, End of the Road, Kendal Calling, 2000 Trees, Liverpool Sound City, Boardmasters and many more.
We are looking for a new Chief Executive Officer to lead the Association, providing overall leadership and direction. The CEO represents the collective interests of AIF members to Government, media outlets and the wider live music industry in addition to leading on all public facing AIF campaigns. The CEO is the principal spokesperson for the organisation, representing AIF on Government working and policy groups, and other cross-sector working groups, ensuring strong representation of the independent festival sector. The CEO manages and develops staff and cultivates relationships across the live music industry and develops an overall vision and development plan for the organisation’s work and focus.
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following qualities and experience:
- An experienced professional with wide ranging leadership experience. Candidates should have proven experience in effective organisational leadership.
- Excellent personal communication skills- an experienced public speaker, adept at speaking with national and regional media.
- The ability to pragmatically manage stakeholders and partners alongside introducing and nurturing constructive new relationships.
- A commitment to delivering and improving the Association’s overall services to members.
- Knowledge and experience of member recruitment and retention within a membership services environment (or similar).
- The ability to be extremely responsive and reactive, prioritising according to where members require support and representation and to prioritise workload, multitasking effectively to meet all deadlines.
- A strong commitment to key issues including Equality, Diversity and inclusion (EDI), climate action and festival audience welfare.
- Resource management: Experience of financial management alongside management and recruitment of staff.
- A working knowledge of the work of AIF and the wider UK festival and events landscape.
As an organisation, AIF celebrates and supports members from all backgrounds and are working to build an adaptable culture of mutual allyship, and an environment where everyone is comfortable being themselves 100% of the time. We actively encourage applications from people of every race, gender, religion, age, disability and the LGBTQIA+ community.
To apply, please submit a CV along with a covering letter which sets out your interest in the role and outlines the aspects of your experience relevant to the required criteria. Please include the names and addresses of two referees. Referees will not be approached until the final stages and not without prior permission from candidates.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to current AIF CEO Paul Reed: firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline of 6pm on Friday 30th September.
Interviews will commence during w/c Monday 3rd October.